release date, expected new features, all about the update
The first info on Android 14 has arrived!
Appoline Reisacher / Published on
Name of the new Android OS version
Each year, Google honors the major update of its OS by giving it a cake name. If this name is no longer used for communication to the general public, it is still used to communicate internally.
Thus, for this future update of the Android OS, the code name is: Upside Down Cake. As a reminder, last year, Android 13 was called Tiramisu.
However, the general public will discover the new version of the operating system under the name of Android 14.
Android 14 release date
Traditionally, releases of the new major version of Android take place during the 3rd quarter of the year. By following the roadmap published by Google, we can thus estimate a release of Android 14 between August and September 2023.
Here is the detailed timeline planned for Android 14:
- Developer Preview 1: available since February 8, 2023
- Developer Preview 2: March 2023
- Beta phase: from April 2023 until July 2023
- Android 14 release: between August and September 2023
The new features expected with Android 14
If we are still far from the release of Android 14, the Developer Preview 1 and the various rumors offer a nice overview of new features:
- Satellite emergency calls: like Apple, Google should offer the same type of service, which allows you to contact emergencies without connecting to the network or Wi-Fi. (Source: Hiroshi LockheimerSVP Google)
- Predictive rollback: Android 14 might allow you to perform an intuitive gesture to preview the previous screen, to choose whether to return to this one (see video below).
- DeviceAsWebcam: identical to the option present on the iPhone, this function would allow you to use your smartphone as a webcam, to benefit from optimal video quality. (Source : Mishaal RahmanAndroid specialist journalist)
- HealthConnect: the health tracking application could be installed natively on smartphones from Android 14.
- Blocking malicious apps: applications deemed obsolete or unsafe (with an SDK version lower than 23) will no longer be able to be installed on Android devices.
- Better accessibility: users will be able to enlarge the font up to 200%, with non-linear scaling, for better readability.
- Better inclusiveness: Android 14 will offer a grammatical inflection API that allows you to integrate terms that adapt to all genders (feminine, masculine, neutral).
- Regional preferences: each user will be able to choose different parameters according to their preferences, such as the temperature unit, the first day of the week, the type of calendar, etc. (Source: XDA developers).
Smartphones compatible with Android 14
For the moment, it is difficult to know which smartphones will be compatible: we will have to wait for the official lists of the various manufacturers (Samsung, Xiaomi, Asus, Oppo, etc.)
However, Google has unveiled the list of Pixels compatible with Android 14:
- Pixel 7 Pro
- Pixel 6 Pro
- Pixel 6
- Pixel 5 Pro
- Pixel 5
- Pixel 4a (5G)
Patience is therefore essential to discover the future Android 14 OS… Google could however officially present its new operating system at its annual Google I/O conference, which will certainly take place next May. We’ll be sure to keep you informed!